.. Dia de los Muertos, Celebrate the cycle of life ..






Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) is celebrated in Mexico from November 1- 2. 
It is a celebration of the lives of the deceased in which we honor them with food, drink, parties, and activities the dead enjoyed in life. It recognizes death as a natural part of life, it is a natural part of the life cycle. On the this day the dead are awakened from their eternal sleep to share celebrations with their loved ones.
The most familiar symbol row Dia De Los Muertos is are Calaveras (Skulls, Sugar Skulls), it may appear everywhere during the holiday in candied sweets, parade masks, dolls, face painting & more. Calaveras present themselves often in bright colors or portrayed enjoying life.
Ofrendas are an essential part of the celebration (Ofrenda means offering in spainsh.) Also know as altares (altars), these ofrendas often contain a deceased ones favorite food, drink and sweets, sweet bread ( pan de muerto) and a toy if the altar is for a child as well. Pictures of saints, Virgen De Guadalupe, and a crucifix may also be placed on the altar, along with bright yellow & orange marigolds (an Aztec power of the dead.) Ofrendas are placed at home as well as in the cemeteries.





Ive always loved Dia De Los Muertos, its always filled my heart with happiness as well as a bit of sadness to celebrate my loved ones who are no loner here. It is bittersweet but I love to celebrate their life with as much joy as they once did.
This year I will be setting up my very own FIRST ofrenda! Ive always helped my mom with hers as well as my mom in law. But this year Ive decided to do my own with the help of my Frida, I love how she asks question regarding the calaveras, or what the sugar skulls are for?
This is part of her culture, a tradition that I wish she follows with years to come and grows to love as much as I do.

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9